Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
Virtual servers offer you almost all the benefits of having a full dedicated server, with full control and better performance than shared hosting, but without the high cost of a traditional dedicated server. Because the server isn't shared, you can use it as you please for high-volume websites, custom applications such as Plone or bulk email services (within our AUP - spam is strictly prohibited) without the restrictions in place with shared hosting. All our VPS packages include full shell access and 24/7 service monitoring and notifications.
Virtualisation gives you an easy upgrade path on demand – if you find your server is struggling with the number of visitors you have or you need more space, we can upgrade your RAM, CPU and disk allocation with just a reboot required. If you grow further and need a full dedicated server, we can move your virtual server onto dedicated hardware so you can instantly use the increased performance without days of work replicating your software, configuration and files.
We use Citrix XenServer Enterprise Edition virtualisation software developed by Cambridge University and backed by commercial support from Citrix. Virtualisation allows a powerful physical server to be partitioned into separate virtual servers, each with guaranteed CPU resources, RAM and disk space, securely separated from the other virtual servers on the same hardware. If another virtual server on the same hardware crashes, yours is completely unaffected and continues to run.
Typical Host Server details
- HP BL460c G7 Blade Server
- 2 x Intel Xeon L5640 Six-Core 2.26GHz CPUs (shared)
- 96GB total server memory
- Disks provisioned on NetApp FAS series SAN using 15k RPM SAS drives in RAID-DP configuration (RAID provides redundant disks meaning if one disk fails the server is still operational, and increased speed by splitting data across multiple drives)
|Standard VPS||Premium VPS||Advanced VPS||Ultimate VPS|
|512MB dedicated RAM||1GB dedicated RAM||2GB dedicated RAM||4GB dedicated RAM|
|2 Virtual CPU Core||3 Virtual CPU Cores||4 Virtual CPU Cores||6 Virtual CPU Cores|
|15GB disk space||30GB disk space||60GB disk space||120GB disk space|
|75GB Bandwidth per month||150GB Bandwidth per month||300GB Bandwidth per month||600GB Bandwidth per month|
|No setup fee, no minimum contract|
|£30 per month||£45 per month||£65 per month||£95 per month|
|Order now||Order now||Order now||Order now|
- UK Data Centre in London's Docklands
- 99.9% SLA (terms)
- Choice of Operating Systems including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Debian, Novell SLES, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, with both x86 and x64 versions available
- All-Juniper network including Juniper firewall protection with configurable rules for every customer
- Private VLAN for dedicated and virtual server customers (/29 private address space, more IP addresses available on justification with no charge)
- Gigabit (1,000Mbps) burst capacity
- Private network facility for customers with multiple servers
- LAN-LAN IPSec VPN support for administration access or for access to your existing network infrastructure
- 24/7 Hardware and network monitoring and support
- Juniper SSL VPN for remote admin (offers greatly improved security, as there is no need to open up administration access such as SSH and Remote Desktop to the internet)
- DNS services provided from Telstra Europe London Hosting Centre, London Docklands and Global Crossing, Munich
Need more space?
We are happy to customise our VPS offerings to your exact requirements.
Contact us for a quote.
Control Panel Options (optional)
These control panels allow server administrators unprecedented control over their systems and customer accounts, while providing a familiar and easy to use interface for domain owners and email users.
You will be given the option to add a control panel to your VPS when ordering one of the above packages through our online order system.
|Including WebHost Manager (WHM)||Including SmarterMail and SmarterStats|
|Available on Linux only||Available on Windows only|
|£15 / month||£25 / month|
We offer server management options where we take care of every aspect of managing your server, leaving you to get on with using the applications you need or uploading the content. Management options are customised for each customer and can include:
- Security patching and hardening
- Application and Service pack installation
- Custom website monitoring with email or SMS alerts if your website stops working
- Custom port monitoring
- Offsite data backups
Please contact us for a quote if you require a custom package.
Customers can choose between monthly, quarterly or annual contracts. All packages come with a 14 Day Money Back Guarantee. Prices exclude VAT. A discount of 10% is available to full-time students and not-for-profit groups on request and is subject to confirmation before taking effect.